Preparing Your Home To Sell
As your Realtor, I will do my job to market your property in all of the right places in order to procure a qualified buyer and see the transaction through to closing. As the owner of the property, you can assist by preparing your home for showing. Here are some ideas:
- If needed, paint exterior of dwelling, including trimwork and entrance doors.
- Keep outside areas clean and organized, free of clutter.
- Keep lawn areas maintained (grass mowed, landscaping tended, etc.).
- Have carpet(s) professionally cleaned.
- Replace/repair damaged flooring.
- Repair any damages to interior walls.
- Paint interior walls and molding/trimwork a neutral color.
- Make sure the windows are clean, inside and out.
- Get rid of any "loud", damaged, or unattractive window treatments.
- Make sure everything in and around the house is in good working order (lightbulbs replaced, fixtures tight and working properly, etc.).
- Clean and organize all closets. This would be a great time to start packing for the eventual move in order to avoid clutter.
- Make sure furniture is in good repair and is clean.
- Thoroughly clean the kitchen (including refrigerator and oven).
- Remove any distinct decor that might not appeal to others.
- Remove unnecessary furniture, knick-knacks, collections, books, photographs, and other items that might appear to clutter the home and make it look less spacious.
- Clean the house and keep it clean. You never know when the next potential buyer may want to see the home.